EE has notified FutureTel of new policy changes and price increases that are coming into force in April 2022.
EE will be changing the way they apply price increases from April 2022. EE’s price increases will take effect from the 1st of April 2022 and are applicable for all existing connections for both business and personal contracts.
This increase is in line with The Consumer Prices Index (CPI) rate of 5.4% (published in January 2022), plus an additional 3.9%, making a total increase of 9.3%.
If you use the EE network as part of your account with FutureTel, there will be a small increase in your mobile network costs from April. All mobile networks are increasing their prices due to the rise in inflation which was published in January 2022 and unfortunately, this is beyond our control.
An EE spokesperson said: “Two years ago, we decided to change the way we implemented price changes.
“Instead of unexpected, and inconsistent price changes throughout the year, we introduced a single contracted price rise, that would happen annually from 31 March.
“As usage across our networks continues to increase and with our customers relying on us for connectivity more than ever before, it’s crucial we continue to invest in our networks, services and the latest technology.
“As such, and in line with our terms, our prices for existing customers will be increasing from 31st March, with a similar rise also being introduced for new customers.”
It’s not just the communications industry that has been impacted by price increases, almost all other industries have had products and services affected and are undergoing cost increases due to the rise in inflation.
If you have any questions about this increase, please contact the FutureTel mobiles department and a dedicated member of the team will answer any queries you may have regarding your account. We can also help with cost projections for the rest of the year.